Early Jobs and the War Begins

I left school in December 1937. Winter then coming, it looked as if I would start work stone picking, which I did until March still with no hope of going to sea.

I got a job with W.H.Smith's bookstall on Sheringham railway station, taking papers and magazines on a cycle with a bag on each side of the back wheel. I found it hard going up through the woods as far as Roman Camp, then to West Runton and opening up a small bookstall for a few regulars.

Sheringham from Roman camp (1930's)
Outside work, I spent most of my spare time on the beach. Helping out and running errands when required.

There were local fishing boats and coastal traders not far out that sometimes required the 'Foresters Centenary' which had plenty of help in launching and rehousing from the fishermen at this time.

John M ashore at Runton August 1937
'John M' ashore at Runton 07/07/1937
Sheringham lifeboat launch to crab boats April 1939


My next employment, just as war started, was as a butcher's boy at the West Runton shop Arthurs. Another fisherman's son had already started at the Sheringham shop and I rather envied him because he was able to drive the small van taking orders whereas I had a trade cycle.

Arthurs (closed), Station Rd, West Runton

 









© Copyright Hugh Venables and licensed for reuse

I was nearly 16, and working at the butcher's shop when the war started. I had no chance of getting in the lifeboat crew before the war as I had no fishing or other sea-going experience.
However, as I spent much of my spare time on the beach I soon saw the effects of war at first hand. Two events stuck in my memory.

The first was in December 1939 when a German aircraft crashed in the sea near the new lifeboat house at the end of the prom. The lifeboat went out to search for survivors but nothing could be found.


German Aircraft Wreckage on Sheringham Beach December 1939

A day or two later I was on my early morning walk along the prom and beach when I noticed something at the shoreline. When I got closer I saw that it was the body of a German airman. All I could think about was that he looked no older than me. I let another regular beach-walker know about him so that someone else could contact the authorities.

The second event took place in early 1940. The coaster 'Boston Trader' was set on fire with 12 bombs from German aircraft, and the crew machine gunned as they took to the ship's boat. Sheringham lifeboat rescued the men from the boat and I went to help in the recovery of the lifeboat. A local doctor tended to the wounded.

Lifeboat Journal June 1940
Lifeboat Journal on Boston Trader rescue

'Foresters Centenary with Injured from 'Boston Trader'

I had finished work at the butcher's and cycled back to Sheringham to hear that the lifeboat was off, to the aid of a coaster that had been attacked. So I put my short boots on and went down to the boathouse to see if I could help. 


L-R:Jimmy Biship, Jimmy "Paris" West (with casualty), Henry Little (signalman)
The lightly wounded were carried ashore while the badly wounded remained in the lifeboat until it had been brought closer to the boathouse and they could be stretchered to ambulances.




L-R: Me, Billy"Cutty" Craske, Teddy "Lux" Craske (2nd Mechanic), Jimmy Scotter
Billy "Cutty" is telling me to "take yer hands out of yer pockets".