Fishermen Evangelists

Sunday was the special day. My grandparents were strong Methodists and went to Chapel in Station Road, known as the "Fishermen's Chapel", in the morning and in the evening.

Methodist Chapel Sheringham
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Station Road, Sheringham

The Organ 

 I and other fishermen's sons attended the services, pumping the organ and for the sermon we came into the Chapel.





Sometimes fishermen preached the Gospel, including the Fishermen Evangelists, John "Teapot" West, William "Tonny" Craske and Willie Long. They travelled all over the country preaching; even to London, where they talked about the sea and their faith.

Willie Long
John "Teapot" West (L); William "Tonny" Craske (R)









     Three fishermen of which Sheringham should be very proud. They were all local fishermen and lifeboatmen but it is in their role of Methodist Evangelists that made them famous. They always spoke with a strong Norfolk accent and would lead services such as the fishermen's Thanksgiving Service which was attended by local people and visitors.
     On returning home the visitors told people about them and they were invited to take meetings all over the country. Old Kent Road and St. George's Hall in London, Great Yarmouth, Lincoln, Derby, Bury St. Edmunds and Filey, to name but a few.
     Saving many souls for Jesus. For over 50 years, truly Fishers of Men.
Anon 

I was thirteen when my grandfather Joyful died. I remember seeing him for the last time in the front room of 32, Beeston Road, and touched his head so that "I would never forget him", so they said.
Sad to say, my father never went to Chapel; a lot of his generation didn't, though I think he was made to go to Sunday School. Some say it was because of the First World War, but I don't think so.
If his faith was as strong as his father's it would have been different.

Grandfather "Joyful"
My Grandfather Joshua "Joyful" West

I missed my grandfather and the walk we used to have after Chapel and back in time for our Sunday Dinner that granny Joyful had ready. I went to sleep at granny Joyful's after grandad died.

Granny and Visitors
Granny "Joyful" and Visitors
She got me my breakfast then I went to school. This arrangement continued for over a year. Later on my father got her a dog for company, as granny and grandad Joyful had had a few dogs during their life.

Many thanks to Rosa West, Senior Church Steward at St. Andrews Methodist Church, Sheringham for use of the pictures of the Chapel and organ, and of the Fishermen Evangelists.