Stone Picking and Other Jobs

In the 1920's and 30's Sheringham was only a small fishing town.

Acadia, just launched, c.1929. L to R: Uncle Henry William, Cousin Henry Robert, Me (seated), Father Robert Harry with Brother Jack on his lap

In the winter months, some of the fishermen kept going to sea, but the weather most days was not good enough. Most of the men went stone picking on the beach**. The stones were a special type used for pottery and millions of tons were sent by rail to Stoke.

Stone Picking on Sheringham Beach

My father started stone picking when the cod fishing didn't pay, and I had to go down and help as soon as I came out of school no matter what the weather to pick the blue stones into six stone [around 40kg] peds and help push them to the weigh-in near the Burlington Hotel.
Burlington Hotel

After school in the afternoon, back to the beach, maybe at the East or West End and help to get a load ready for the morning. It was killing work, fingers sore, you didn't have any need to cut your fingernails.
It was about this time before I left school at 14 that I learnt to braid a crab pot. This was what you needed to do before you got your first pair of sea boots.

Me and Jimmy Bishop braiding Crab Pots at the East End

My hope of getting to sea when I left school didn't come off. Money was short and times were hard. After leaving school I went stone picking as my first job. You got paid six shillings and six pence [32½p] a ton. I never ever picked a ton in one day and many of the men didn't either. Father made me a barrow from pram wheels but it didn't last long - just the rest of the winter.

When my grandfather 'Joyful' was alive, I always had my weekend at 32 Beeston Road. On Saturdays, I would get their pension at the Beeston Post Office, known as Beale's Store. Besides the Post office, the store sold everything and, with a shopping list, I got granny's groceries. For this errand I got what I called my Saturday penny.
 
Grandfather talking to young visitors
Granny with a Customer at the Crab Shop




















** Stone picking from the beaches has been banned since the 1960's